What is FormWork in construction?
The following factors were considered when doing form work;Timber and plywood were generally used Materials in the site for in-situ concrete work. Columns Beams slabs lift walls and staircases were all constructed using Timber and plywood formwork. Steel casing formwork was used for few structures such as round columns.
- Correct position
- Line and level
- Accuracy within permitted tolerances
- Shape of members
- Verticality (plumb)
- Correct angles for batters etc.
- Finishing heights (mark off)
- Formwork joints flush and tight
- No nails protruding into the concrete
- Formwork joints sealed as required
- Construction joints strutted and supported
All the above formwork was supported with the following false work and other materials
- GI pipes, concrete & wire nails
- Form ties (to tie the separates and GI pipes)
- Separates (thread bar & P cone)
- Pipe supports and “T”,”U” jacks
- adjustable steel props, mould oil (diesel & grease)